Saturday, February 22, 2014

How to Become an "A" Student


 The following piece is a response from Dr. Reinhold Schlieper to his students when he was asked, “How do I get an “A” in your class”? Reading his message should provide teachers, students, and parents with a better understanding of just what an “A” student might look like.
 

One of my former students raised a fascinating issue, he or she wrote on an evaluation: I never feel I had a grasp on what I needed to do for a good grade. I feel I learned great things that will help me in the future. One thing I would change in this class is to give the student a better understanding of what to do for an A. Well, I should try to spell out what to do for an 'A.' First, every student should realize that an 'A' is not the result of the fulfillment of an contractual agreement. Instead, the bare-bones fulfillment of the contractual agreement usually certifies that a student has completed requirements satisfactorily. In the short form, this is the grade 'C.' So, 'A' and 'B' students somehow manage to deliver more than merely what they've contracted to do. They tend to surprise me with demonstrating that they've understood the assignment and have gone beyond its specific terms. No students should ever believe that an 'A' is achievable by the teacher's giving a precise blueprint of what to do and by the student's engaging in mindlessly following orders.

 But in a more upbeat manner, let me tell you what I have observed about students who typically get an 'A' in one of my classes:
  1. 'A' students always attend class and come to class on time; even if they have a class halfway across campus, they manage not to be late.
  2. 'A' students never leave a workshop meeting early; they generally find something to polish or to improve or to refine.
  3. 'A' students never ask me what I want from an assignment; they're too busy visualizing what they could do with an assignment.
  4. 'A' students never haggle over grades; they try to look for and to understand criticism constructively. That is, they want to learn from what I point out to them.
  5. 'A' students are original and creative. Again, they don't look to me for setting requirements; they look within themselves for how they can go beyond requirements.
  6. 'A' students are meticulous. They do not proofread just once; they proofread many times.
  7. 'A' students come to my office to discuss papers or assignments that they are unsure of. Generally, I have a feeling that I'm working WITH them, not that I'm on trial for unfair grading, when they show up at my office.
  8. 'A' students cooperate with their team; they do not spend time cutting each other down.

I suppose what I want to say here is that being an 'A' student is an attitude, a mind set, a character bend, or a morality or work ethic; it is not a bargain stance. "If I did that, you must do that," is not a proper dialog mode for determining the 'A' student. I do hope that future students will read this comment; perhaps that will help them immensely in setting their own standards. (Schlieper 1998).
 
 
Teachers and parents may wish to share these thoughts with their students and/or children.
If you are a student and have just read Dr. Schlieper’s thoughts, it is time to become an “A” student.

Reference:

Dr. Reinhold Schlieper
Department of Humanities

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

May 5, 1998

2 comments:

  1. An A is not the important part. In fact, working for an A, or any grade, can diminish real learning (see Kohn). Working for an A means that a student is working for an evaluator, not for learning. Real learning happens in spite of grades not because of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely -"real learning happens in spite of grades not because of them." Once a learner finds learning important, they will seek knew knowledge without being conscious of a grade they might just happen to receive; however, this drive to learn will often result in an "A".

    ReplyDelete